canine cpr and first aid workshop
be prepared to help treat your pet in the case of an emergency, such as accidental poisoning, choking or heat stroke. through lecture, demonstration and hands-on practice, denise fleck of sunny-dog ink will teach you the skills necessary to help save your dog’s life. you’ll earn a pet first aid/cpr certification upon completion of class. humans only.
- temporary muzzling and safe approach
- checking vitals: how to find your pet’s pulse, respiration, temperature, capillary refill time and hydration
- how to perform a head-to-tail check-up
- rescue breathing and cpr
- bandaging and splinting
- what to do for: bloat, burns, choking, constipation, diarrhea, drowning, electric shock, frostbite, heatstroke, insect stings, poisoning, seizures, shock and snake bites
- how to use the items in your pet first-aid kit
- pet disaster preparedness
denise’s class is priceless for dog parents. not only do you learn how to administer canine cpr but also how to react in so many emergency situations. one class gives you critical, life-saving information. hoping i never have to put any of the knowledge into action but so thankful i have it if my dog needs me!
— jenny, enzo’s mom
denise fleck of sunny-dog ink has trained with seven national organizations in animal life-saving skills as well as having been a long-time rescue volunteer and animal response team member. she has assisted homeland security with their k9 border patrol first aid program, has developed her own line of pet first aid kits, writes weekly columns for a variety of magazines and has made several national television appearances. she is the instructor of the dog’s best friend first aid workshops.
next date: tba
what to expect when you’re expecting…a puppy! webinar
what to expect when you’re expecting…a puppy! was created for anyone planning on or considering taking the leap into puppy parenthood.
in this 2-hour webinar, we will discuss not only the joys of being a puppy parent, but the extreme challenges that bringing a fluff ball into your home can bring.
we’ll talk about:
- selecting a puppy (both from rescue groups and breeders)
- pre-puppy preparation
- the first day home
- house/crate training
- puppy nipping
- puppy development stages
- the importance of proper puppy socialization
- how compassion and patience are required in order to raise a happy, healthy puppy
rebecca mandell started dog’s best friend in 2004 when she became increasingly alarmed by the physically and emotionally damaging methods utilized by many dog trainers.
as a positive reinforcement dog trainer, rebecca believes in training dogs with compassion and understanding, helping to build the bond between dogs and humans, so the dogs do what we ask of them because they want to, not because they are frightened or intimidated.
rebecca was voted “best dog trainer” in the 2012 south bay locals’ choice awards. she is a long time resident of hermosa beach, alongside her husband, corey, and two rascals, rusty and cooper.